I had the pleasure of meeting Humber Alumni and current students tonight at the Humber Café round table discussions. I had the opportunity to hear and ask questions about their career path journey, gained valuable advice, and expand my knowledge about business industries.
Here are my key takeaways:
- Find out what you’re good at. Own what you do and own who you are.
- Test your limits; don’t be afraid to try what’s out there.
- Have the courage to reinvent yourself.
- Don’t sell yourself short. Have confidence in yourself.
- Look at the long haul of your goals and keep building.
- When applying for opportunities, find ways to highlight yourself and stand out from others.
- Title means nothing until you can influence others and gain their trust and respect.
- Everything you learn along the way is a stepping stone to another opportunity; pay attention to your transferrable skills.
- A career path is not a straight destination, it has crossroads and detours; it requires a combination of skills you’ve gained from every experience.
I would like to thank Stephanie Williams, Michael Ballard, Deren Hasip, Joe Costa, Bruce Goldie, Lanny Barcelos, RaDeana Montgomery, Humber Café organizers, and Ten Thousand Coffees for such an insightful evening.